The First And Only World-Wide All Online Vintage Surfboard Auction
February 21, 2009 'No Reserve' Auction
21, 2009 US Vintage Surf Auction opens for bidding Saturday morning at
8 am (pst) and promises to be the biggest and most exciting vintage
surf auction to date.
For the first time at any vintage surf
auction, every single auction lot is being sold to the highest bidder
without a reserve!
Offered will be some of the most scarce
antique and vintage surfboards to ever be seen at auction. In
addition, there will be rare surfing art, statues, trophies, posters,
patches, decals, clothing, books, figurines and more.
the items have very significant provenance attached; like four time
World Champion Mark Richards' 1977 Lightning Bolt Gun. Or World
champion Jimmy Blear's first place World trophy. How about a large
never seen original Rick Griffin art board or an ultra rare three piece
surfboard from 1965 by Morey-Pope. There's also a 'lost' set of 10
large photographs of 1940s Malibu Beach with lots of surfboards and
surfing taken by Marilyn Monroe's photographer.
Nearly two dozen
antique and vintage wood surfboards make this the largest selection of
wooden surfboards to ever be offered in one place. Included are 1910s
and 20s solid redwood Hawaiian ala'ia and paipo boards. And 1930s and
40s mixed wood laminate boards made of balsa and redwood. Also Tom
Blake models by 3 of the 4 makers of his boards. And a large selection
of solid balsa boards from the 1950s.
The list of 1960s vintage
boards is extensive, including more than two dozen model surfboards.
And an all star selection of Hawaiian big wave guns. Other significant
60s pieces include World Champion Nat Young's 1969 trophy and a 1961
Surfboards Hawaii rhino chaser, #64 signed by Dick Brewer for Henry
Vintage surfboards from the 1970s include some very
significant riders like 1974 Pipeline Master Jeff Crawford's Pipe
board. A Lightning Bolt by Gerry Lopez for Surf Movie film maker John
'Orly' Hitchcock. Also a 1970 first place trophy for World Champion
With over 125 lots totaling more than 200 rare and
collectible surfboards and related items all being offered with no
reserve, the February 2009 US Vintage Surf Auction will likely be the
most thrilling surf auction ever.
Bidding is all done online and
registration to bid is free and simple. And if you only want to watch
the auction, that's free to.
For details go to: www.USVintageSurfAuction.com or www.USVSA.com
You can contact us at Auction@USVSA.com or call 1 (808) 969 7171
February 21, 2009 Auction - Preview
We have worked tirelessly over the past year to make the February auction the biggest and best vintage surf auction ever.
* February 21, 2009 'No Reserve' auction items are outlined below.
* Auction opens for bidding Saturday morning at 8 am (US - PST)
* Check the 'Countdown to Auction' clock on the home.
Recent Improvements and additions:
- The February 2009 auction is a 100% No Reserve auction!
can now request a final auction day phone reminder and phone assisted
bidding. If you have a phone, we can help you bid wherever you are!
- More and better packing options for your surfboards.
- Now you cannot miss out on a later auction if you're busy bidding / watching an earlier auction.
- Better photos and more detailed descriptions.
- Many items at auction are documented in a full color, hard-back book available in 2009.
- Auction page click to refresh buttons allow you to update auction results every few seconds.
- A 'Home' page clock counts down days, hours and minutes to the next auction.
- A 'World Times' page has been added so you can compare your time to the auction time.
- There will be no 'Sealed Bid' auction this year.
- We've added more payment options, see 'General Information' page.
Remember, this is a No Reserve auction!
Items available in the February 21, 2009 auction include:
Vintage Surfing Art, Paintings and Decor:
- Original antique 1700s & 1800s copper engravings of the earliest images of surfers and surfing.
- An amazing original etching by listed Hawaii artist Huc Luquins from 1918 of Surf-Riding at Waikiki.
- A very large, never seen before, signed original surf art by Rick Griffin.
- A very rare painting of Duke Kahanamoku surfing Waikiki by Hale Pua / Frank Oda.
- An original painting done for a magazine cover art depicting surfers.
- A scarce 1920s metal art deco Surfrider girl
- A never seen 1951 Surfrider Lamp
- A large 1940s ceramic Hawaiian girl surfing figurine.
- A metal Surfrider man also from the 1920s - 30s
- Malibu Beach set of 10 'lost' original 1940s photographs, each 8" x 10", of 1940s surfboards, surfers and surfing.
- Original oil paintings by Severson
- Plus others
Rare vintage 1800s to early 1900s surfing related books:
- 1946 California Surfriders by Doc Ball
- 1935 Hawaiian Surfboard by Tom Blake
- 1899 Hawaii
- 1901 A Trip to Hawaii
- 1900 Kelea the Surfrider
The most significant vintage & antique surfing trophies ever offered at auction:
- Included is a 1930 trophy inscribed to Kahanamoku
- World Champion Nat Young's 1969 trophy
- 1970 first place trophy for World Champion Peter Drouyn.
- World champion Jimmy Blear's first place World trophy
- A 1940 San Pedro trophy
Antique Wood Surfboards:
Early the-turn-of-the-century boards:
- The finest examples of all original, untouched early antique & vintage Hawaiian wood surfboards to ever reach an auction.
Antique 1920s and 30s solid wood surfboards:
- Solid redwood and redwood with balsa surfboards
- Two very rare Hawaiian boards made entirely of balsa
Vintage 1930s - 40s surfboard collection:
- A Woody Brown Hotcurl
- A rare Tom Blake - Mitchell 'Hawaiian Surfboard' near mint
- A Tom Blake by Rogers
- A Tom Blake by Catalina
- An unusual Bob Simmons inspired experimental board
- And other outstanding solid wood boards from this era
1950s vintage balsa surfboards will include:
- An all original Greg Noll
- Original Velzy - Jacobs
- Very rare signed Gordie
- A beautifully crafted Woody Brown
- A near flawless Allen balsa
- Rich Chew's personal balsa board
- A monster balsa by Hobie
Other balsa boards:
- Bing - Brewer Pipeliner gun
- Diffenderfer gun
- Diffenderfer balsa / redwood
- Hobie - Brewer balsa gun
Vintage 1960's surfboards:
Noll, Weber, Hobie, Bing, Greek, Con, Hansen, Morey-Pope, Gordie,
George Downing, Chuck Dent, Surfboards Hawaii, Brewer, Felker,
Interisland, Phil Edwards, Makaha, Hynson, Velzy and Gordon and Smith.
Big Wave 1960s Surfboards - Guns:
- 1961 Surfboards Hawaii #64 signed by Dick Brewer for Henry Mahi
- 1968 Surfboards Makaha 'Tigerstripe' pintail
- 1965 - 10' 10" Hobie - Brewer #84
- 1966 - 11' 0" Gordie
- 1960s - 10' 8" Hobie rhino chaser
- 1968 - 10' 0" Greg Noll Surfcenter Hawaii signed
Vintage 1960's models include:
- Bing 'Pipeliner' Gun and Standard by Brewer
- Morey-Pope 'AAA Eliminator'
- Greenough - McTavish 'Spoon'
- Velzy 'Bump'
- Hansen '50 / 50'
- *Bing 'Nuuhiwa Lightweight' tiger stripes
- *Greg Noll ' Da Cat'
- Surfboards Hawaii 'Chivas Monster'
- Con 'Ugly'
- Gordon & Smith 'Hynson HY1'
- Hobie 'Phil Edwards'
- Greg Noll 'Slot Bottom'
- Weber 'Feather'
- Greg Noll 'Bug'
- Gordon & Smith 'Tiger Stipe'
- Hansen 'Lopez'
- Hobie 'Corky Carroll'
- George Downing 'Delux'
- Hobie ' Gary Propper'
- Hansen 'Lightweight'
- Greg Noll 'California'
- Hansen 'Competetor'
- Hobie 'Brewer'
- Greek 'Eliminator'
- Greg Noll 'Infinity'
- Rick 'Barry Kanaiaupuni'
- Hansen 'Superlite'
- An ultra scarce Morey-Pope 'Trisect'
- And more.
1960s vintage surfing memorabilia:
Rare Team Clothing:
- A set of 1965 Weber Team shorts & jacket with provenance.
- A super rare 60s Duke Invitational team jacket
- A 1964 Hobie Team jacket with provenance
- A rarely seen set of Duke Kahanamoku shoes with the matching shirt.
Vintage surfing & surfer collectibles with four (4) or more items in each lot:
- 1940s Malibu, California, ten (10) large photographs of Surfboards and Surfing.
- Surf Patches - Greg Noll, Harbour, Surfboards Hawaii, Collier, Matador, Katin, Tanaka, Joey Cabell, Morey - Pope, Birdwell, Jeffrey Dale, Con and others.
Decals - Con, Phil Edwards, Weber, Jacobs, Greek, Bing, Hobie, Corky
Carroll, Greg Noll, Harbor, Ole, Dave Sweet, Wardy, Collier, Matador,
Carbonell, Aloha, Hawaii, Rick, Wind an Sea, World Championships,
Grannis, and others.
- Surfboard price lists - Sweet, Wardy, Ole, Flaherty and Diwain
- Surf company business cards - Sweet, Wardy, Ole.
movie posters - 1966 Endless Summer, 1963 Angry Sea, 1963 Let There Be
Surf, 1962 Surfing Hollow Days, 1963 Once Upon A Wave, 1962 Dynamite,
1962 Cavalcade Of Surf, 1958 Slippery When Wet, 1963 Gun Ho, 1963 Ride
On The Wild Side, 1968 Moods of Surfing, 1962 10th Annual International
Surfing Championships at Makaha, and others
- Original 1960s 16mm surf and skateboard films: For Surfers Only by
Grant Rohloff, Barefoot Adventure, The Wet Set and Hobie Skateboard
movie all by Bruce Brown, Surf Mania & Psyche Out by Walt Phillips
- Surf related albums - a single lot of more than 100 albums!
Vintage 1970s surfboards:
- Lightning Bolts by Gerry Lopez, Barry Kanaiaupuni, Tom Parrish and Reno Abellira.
- Gordon and Smith
- Ocean Pacific
- And others.
Big wave guns - vintage surfboards from the 70s:
- Lightning Bolt by Lopez
- Bing 'Eaton' Waimea gun
- Three Lightning Bolts by Parrish, BK and Reno
- Two Dick Brewer Pipeliner guns
- Rick 'Barrry Kanaiaupuni
- Interisland - Brewer, Reno Abillera
Historical surfboards of particular importance:
For more information go to: www.USVintageSurfAuction.com or www.USVSA.com
- Mark Richards' personal 1977 Lightning Bolt Gun
- Personal Brewer Pipeline gun of Pipe Masters Champ Jeff Crawford
- 1943 Woody Brown Hotcurl
- Rich Chew's balsa
- Ultra rare Morey-Pope 'Trisect'
- Early Simmons inspired experimental board
- Near mint 1934 Tom Blake 'Hawaiian Surfboard'
- Lighting Bolt by 'Lopez' for film maker John 'Orly' Hitchcock
Email: Auction@USVSA.com Phone: (808) 969 7171